Monday 6 February 2012

Pattern Generation

After our meeting with Mike I was inspired to go away and generate a few ideas for the front cover. I knew I wanted to work with shapes, and came up with the idea of using a series of different vectors shapes that differ in only a small amount. The screen grab below shows how I started with a simple square, then rounded each corner in a series of steps to eventually be left with a circle. I think it's a nice approach as it shows progress and perhaps the journey from the beginning of the course to now. In terms of colour I'm not sure what to use. I know Mike wants gender neutral colours, so I thought this might mean using both pink and blue, typically feminine and masculine colours respectively, and combining them with something such as yellow.


I took the idea of shapes a step further next and started to combine them in interesting and intangible compositions.


The next step in this progression was to take the shapes and colours, include transparency, and of course the name of the course to create some sort of composition that communicates the digital aspect whilst remaining colourful and memorable. There are certain parts of the design below that I think work better than others, and with a little tweaking I think I could be really onto something. I'm not entirely sure I like the typeface any more, I think it looks a little disjointed and almost stencil like. This is something that needs altering.


I took the basic approach shown above and tried to come up with something a lot more self contained and less complicated. If this is something that could possibly feature on the front of the publication then it needs to be attractive and not too overwhelming. So I placed the four letters in order, equally spaced, and expanded them vertically with a range of colours and shapes. I also placed black behind the whole thing as Mike said he was a fan of this.


I purposely designed the composition so it appeared as if there was a bounding box around the letters. This is something that I hope is not too obvious at first inspection, but subconsciously aids the reader in viewing the letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment