Friday 17 February 2012

Justin White

Another week to the day and I decided to contact another illustrator whose work I have enjoyed for a while now. A regular contributor to Threadless, and an all round amazing illustrator, his work often references popular culture in the most humourous ways. Particularly the poster seen below, created for the recent 'Adult Swim' themed Gallery 1988 show, in which he brings together various characters from two of the most ridiculous shows I have ever seen; 'Children's Hospital' and 'NTSF:SD:SUV::'. His 'modern vintage' feel is clearly evident in his illustrative style, and his choice of colour is perfect.

More of his fantastic creations can be found here.


___________________________________________________________________________
From: jublin@gmail.com
To: robynmak@live.co.uk
Sent: Thurs, February 16, 2012 12:13:25 AM
Subject: RE: Quick Interview?

Hey Robyn,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring this email! I'm gonna go through and answers your questions and send em over hopefully later today. Thanks for the kind works, and I totally appreciate your interest in my crazy weirdo mind!

Justin

What’s your background? 
Well I went to a state school originally with the plan of majoring in Film + Television. I took classes and enjoyed what I was doing, but somehow wanted their to be a stronger focus on animation. At the time I was minoring in art and taking simple classes just to keep me drawing. My school didn't really have an animation department, so I decided to switch to a major in Art + Multimedia and minor in Film + Television. Multimedia was the closest thing there was to animation, but it was really just any type of art that had to do with computers. So I made the best with what I had in front of me and focused on illustration. Outside of school, I was learning how other illustrators made a living in freelance and met a lot of amazing talented artists through websites and communities online including threadless. I always knew I wanted to draw and be an artist, I just didn't realize it was actually a possibility.

Describe a typical working day.
This is a good question, but I don't have a very exciting answer for it. I just work. So I'll skip this one :P

What’s the most challenging part of your job?
For me, I often have a tough time staying motivated and inspired. It's too easy to hit an artist's block and become frustrated. I work freelance, so the only person pushing me to keep going and threatening to fire me is ME. And I'm a pretty laidback boss.

And what’s the most enjoyable?
Just being able to do what I love. I love to draw and make things and knowing that at least some people are enjoying it and paying me to keep it up is a pretty amazing realization.

What do you hope to achieve in 2012?
I want to draw more! I want a larger body of work regardless if there's an audience for it or if anyone even sees it. I would love to focus in on animation again. I want to create more stories and worlds through original art that would hopefully somehow inspire others. I guess that's the ultimate goal.

How did your first collaboration with Gallery 1988 come about?
Gallery1988 mentioned on their blog that they had an open call for submissions and I just emailed them "hey over here! me me!" Luckily, they took pity and invited me to a few of their shows the following year. The first being a show commemorating the 10th Anniversary of the movie Wet Hot American Summer which is one of my favorite movies of all time. So being a part of that and meeting some of the cast for my first show was an insane dream come true.

What would be your ideal Gallery 1988 exhibition to contribute to?
My ideal Gallery1988 show? Hard question. I've already been able to contribute art to their galleries inspired by my favorite movies, tv shows, and video games so I'm not sure. I don't have a good answer for this one either. X_X

Are there any fellow artists/designers you have been exhibited with at Gallery 1988 that inspire you?
There are loads of super talented artists that I've been lucky enough to exhibit art with at G1988. Do I have to name names?! oh man. Well I'm a big fan and quite jealous of the little plush dolls that Michelle Coffee has made. So creative. Hope some of that is useful and not too dull!

___________________________________________________________________________
Justin's responses were again incredibly insightful and he was just as friendly as Matt, Andrew and Dave where. I keep forgetting that they're just people, and they're not going to bite my head off for being inquisitive!

No comments:

Post a Comment