Tuesday 17 January 2012

Contacting Matt Chase

After looking so thoroughly at Matt's work I thought I would attempt to make contact. I composed a list of questions I would be interested in hearing the answers to and sent it off in the blind hope he would get back to me. The email is below. ___________________________________________________________________________

From: Robyn Makinson 
To: matt.chase@swbell.net
Sent: Mon, January 16, 2012 11:42:07 AM
Subject: We Have Your Children

Hello Matt,
I am a third year Graphic Design student at the Leeds College of Art, England and am currently working towards a design context publication. In it we have been asked to seek out interviews with designers whose work has inspired us for the previous three years, and I immediately thought of you. I have been aware of your work since your first collaboration with Gallery 1988, and greatly admire your playful use of colour and texture often combined with vectorised illustration. I realise you’re busy but I would really appreciate it if you could take a small amount of time and answer a few of the questions below. You don’t have to answer them all; I probably got a bit carried away! Be as brief or detailed as you want, but thank you in advance for anything you have to say.

What’s your background?
Describe a typical working day.
What’s the most challenging part of your job?
And what’s the most enjoyable?
What do you hope to achieve in 2012?

Your re-imagined film posters are particularly relevant to my own design aspirations, how do decide what film posters to re-interpret?
How did your first collaboration with Gallery 1988 come about?
What would be your ideal Gallery 1988 exhibition to contribute to?
Are there any films/games/music artists etc. you have always wanted to design for?
Are there any fellow artists/designers you have been exhibited with at Gallery 1988 that inspire you? 

Quick questions:
Favourite/least favourite colour:
Favourite/least favourite typeface:
Describe your work in three words:

Thanks again,
Robyn Makinson

robynmak@live.co.uk
+44 (0) 797 104 6190 



I was delighted when I got the following response almost within the hour.
___________________________________________________________________________

From: matt.chase@swbell.net
To: robynmak@live.co.uk
Sent: Mon, January 16, 2012 12:53:24 AM
Subject: RE: We Have Your Children

Hi Robyn,

I appreciate you reaching out & would be happy to answer your questions. I'll try and get back to you sometime later this evening!

Best,
M

chasematt.com | @doble_entendre


Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow I'll have the answers sitting in my inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment