Tuesday 17 January 2012

Matt Chase: Response

When I woke up this morning I immediately went to my hotmail account and was overjoyed to see Matt's response sitting there. I can't believe the quick turnaround of the interview. I really owe a lot to Matt for taking the time out to do this for me.
___________________________________________________________________________

From: matt.chase@swbell.net
To: robynmak@live.co.uk

Hope this helps!

What’s your background?
I'm originally from Wichita, Kansas, where I lived for eighteen years just prior to attending college at the University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS), where I graduated in May 2010 with a BFA in Design. I moved to Boulder, CO for a short stint as a design intern with ad house Crispin Porter + Bogusky, and soon moved out here, to DC, where I currently work for Design Army.

Describe a typical working day.
I currently work for a studio, so I have a pretty normal schedule. Not like those folks you hear about who get to wake up at noon and eat french toast on their sofa while they watch Star Trek and get paid to draw pictures of things. Someday, maybe. One can dream. But no, studio life is great. I can't really get into the details of how we work or what our process is, but I can say that each day is a new adventure.

What’s the most challenging part of your job?
Remembering to have a life. Design is one of those things you get so hooked into that you forget to perform basic life necessities like consume food and go to bed. It was literally at a point a few months ago where I was bailing on beer night to work late and I was like, "This is out of control. Time to slow it down." It's all about balance; you gotta have that disengage, the time between when the gears turn on and turn off.

And what’s the most enjoyable?
I had a guy in another country email me a photo of one of my prints hanging in his house, and out the window I could see the Baltic Sea. Was the coolest feeling ever. So I guess knowing that there are people out there who like what you do enough to make it a part of their home, a part of their life—that's probably the best part of it all. Also you meet and get to learn from some really incredible, talented people. The design industry is hyper-saturated with people who are cool as shit. Can't complain about that.

What do you hope to achieve in 2012?
Make more time for prints. Also finish watching Lost. Those things will probably happen at the same time.

Your re-imagined film posters are particularly relevant to my own design aspirations, how do decide what film posters to re-interpret?
I didn't really sit down and make a list when I started that project. I've sort of always had this running tally going in my head of films I'd like to do posters for, and when I felt like the list was getting to thte point where I might start forgetting some, I finally buckled down and did the first set. It's kind of an open project; if there's a film I watch that I really, really like, I'll jump right into my sketchbook and start fiddling around. Star Wars is one I've always really wanted to do, but growing up that's all I watched, so I feel like the movie's so close to me that I could never actually do something I'd be happy with. I must have close to a hundred sketches for a Star Wars series that I know I'll never have the heart to actually finish.

How did your first collaboration with Gallery 1988 come about?
I literally just e-mailed the gallery and was like, "I love what you do. Can I make something for you?"

What would be your ideal Gallery 1988 exhibition to contribute to?
There was a show called "Required Reading" not too long back that I would've loved to have contributed toward. Eric Tan did an Alice in Wonderland piece that blew my mind. I look for it almost every day on eBay. A Wes Anderson show would be really cool, too.

Are there any films/games/music artists etc. you have always wanted to design for?
Would be pretty incredible to do something for Nintendo, for the Zelda franchise maybe.

Are there any fellow artists/designers you have been exhibited with at Gallery 1988 that inspire you?
All of them, to be honest with you. The great thing about the shows there—or any similarly collaborative show—is that you get to see how everyone interprets this one thing, but it's never the same. To see 100 different takes on something is just great.

Favourite/least favourite colour: Favorite color is black. This follows a long affair with vintage red.
Favourite/least favourite typeface: I would have no idea where to begin answering this question.
Describe your work in three words: Skipping this one :)


___________________________________________________________________________
Matt's responses are exactly what I was hoping for: insightful and personal. I can relate to what he said about re-designing a Star Wars poster, and his response to the question about fellow designers from Gallery 1988 is perfect. I've managed to get some great quotes here, and I think from now on I'll be less afraid of making contact with designers. Matt seems really helpful and friendly, hopefully they all will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment